Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.

~Philippians 4:6

Friday, March 25, 2011

Stop throwing money away!!! Top 10 disposables to dispose of.

We definitely live in the age of convenience.  From fast food restaurants which are on every corner to precut veggies and packaged snacks.  We have gotten away from the practice of homemade and saving.  My grandparents grew up in the depression.  I remember my grandmother washing out bread bags to be reused.  I'm pretty sure she never bought a zip lock bag in her life!  While I'm not quite that frugal, I have noticed a few convenience items in my life that simply get used once and thrown away.  That means that money is going right in the trash every time one of these products is used!  Here's a list of a few that, given up even in part could put money back in to your budget!


1.  Bottled water.  Recent studies have shown that the majority of bottled waters these days have more contaminants than most tap water, so save yourself the money and a piece of the planet and buy a refillable bottle.  Add a pitcher or faucet filter for little cost and you're drinking water is actually more pure and you're saving money.

2.  Paper towels and napkins.  I'll admit it.  There are a few jobs I will probably continue to use these for, but I have cut back.  In most cases a cloth does the job just as well, or better.  And let's face it, a wet washcloth is way better on BBQ sauce anyway!

3.  Paper plates, cups & silverware.  I have almost completely given up on these products.  I still have them around for the occasional picnic or camping, but when we are at home we don't use them at all.  I bought lightweight, reusable picnic plasticware that we use instead.  They're inexpensive and great for outdoor dining! 

4.  Plastic shower curtain liners.  I switched to a cloth liner 5 or 6 years ago and am still using the same one!  I figure I've saved over $100 over the years by throwing it in the washer instead of buying a new one every time it gets a little soap scum or mold on it.  To me this is a no brainer.  The cloth in most cases costs the same amount as the plastic ones that have to be replace every 6-8 months.  And it looks much nicer.  Win-win.

5.  Zipper storage bags.  I still use these occasionally as well, but we have cut back.  We now use more reusable plastic and glass containers to store left overs and snacks.

6.  Hand soap containers.  This one just doesn't make sense to me at all.  Why buy a new dispenser every time you run out of soap?  Sure they're only $1, but you can buy a refill for less than $5 and refill your dispenser over and over again.

7.  Disinfecting wipes.  Another convenience that just costs more than it's worth.  A bottle of Mr Clean and a cloth will do the job for a fraction of the cost.  If you want to further disinfect, a can of Lysol goes a long way!

8.  Wrapping paper.  Wrap your gifts in a pretty scarf or cloth instead.  Or use a reusable bag.  Newspaper if you must.  Be creative.  It's more fun anyway.

9.  Individually wrapped snacks.  You can buy everything from precut and packaged apple slices and carrots to single serve cookies, chips, pudding cups, you name it!  These cost a lot of money!  Try baking cookies and packing a few in a reusable container.  Cut your own fruits and veggies and keep them handy in the fridge to grab as snacks.  Make your own pudding!  The list of solutions is as endless as the list of conveniences.  You'll save money and probably have healthier snacks in the process.

10.  Diapers.  OK, my son is in college, so I am waaay past this one, but I needed a 10th item.  Disposable diapers cost a fortune nearly 20 years ago.  I'm sure the price has only gone up.  Consider using cloth diapers.  Better for the environment and your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment